The Academy of Islamic Studies, University of Malaya was formed in 1981 and they are the result of a merger between the Department of Islamic Studies & the Academy of Islam. Prior to this merging, both were independent institutions within the UM. The Academy consisted of two faculties namely the Faculty of Syariah and the Faculty of Usuluddin, one degree programme, the Bachelors in Islamic Education Degree and one matriculation programme, the Pre-Academy of Islam. In 1996, the Academy continued to grow with the formation of 9 Departments which were divided across 4 divisions, which are:
- The Division of Syariah Studies that is made up of:
- – The Department of Fiqh and Usul
- – The Department of Siasah Syar’iyyah
- – The Department of Syariah and Economics
- – The Department of Syariah and Management
- – The Department of Syariah and Law
- The Division of Theological Studies, comprised of the Department of Aqidah and Islamic Thoughts, the Department of Missionary and Human Development
- The Department of Al-Quran and Al-Hadith
- The Department of Islamic History and Civilization.
The Division of Joined Studies conducted the Islamic Education and Islamic Studies programmes, in other words, continuing the joined studies programme with the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
Download Vector Logo of Akademi Pengajian Islam UM