Accompanied by the Club motto, ‘Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum’ – ‘Nothing but the best is good enough’ – the ties were first worn by Kelly and Everton’s chairman, Mr E. Green, on the first day of the 1938/39 season.
But the design didn’t move from the boardroom to the dressing room. There was no crest of any type on the Everton jersey until 1972, when white ‘EFC’ letters were simply embroidered onto the shirt. This lasted for four seasons before a simplified font was introduced instead.
Then, in 1978, came the return of the Tower. This was the first time Kelly’s design had been used on the kit and it remained for four years. In 1982, a simplified, circular design was produced, with the shield and the Latin motto removed.