Bomba & Penyelamat Malaysia, Firebrigade was formed since 1883 with 15 members of the Volunteer Fire Services in Selangor. In 1895 the volunteer organisation became the Permanent Fire and Rescue Services. After the World War II in 1946, a new ‘Malayan Union Fire Services’ was formed and based in Kuala Lumpur.
In 1977, the state fire services in Peninsular Malaysia were centralised as the Fire Services Department of Malaysia at federal level and placed under the Ministry Housing and Local Government, and Sabah and Sarawak were brought under the new department in 1981. Later in 1997 the ministry approved to re-brand the department from the old name to be Fire and Rescue Department of Malaysia. This moment was officially announced during the launching of the new name, logo and flag of the department.